Tuesday 21 August 2012

The art of publishing.

The art of writing is very different to the art of editing and publishing. Writing is something writers do, but editing and publishing are often not the skill of writers. Well they are a skill I am rapidly learning every day.  There is a great challenge, to take your beloved words and tear them apart and put them together again - sometimes in such a different way, that your original story, becomes a new one.

The blessing is that The Creators was written four years ago. The curse is that The Creators was written four years ago.  I have lived, slept, read and written this book for over four years.  And, over the past couple of months, I have read, re-read, written and re-written it over and over again.

So now, with no more changes, the book is ready for printing.

Now the art of editing moves into the art of publishing.

What do you want for a cover?

Well, I don't know - I thought of this, or maybe that?  My amazing editorial and publishing team at Balboa, provided me with an amazing and beautiful sample cover.  I loved it, and then I liked it and then I suggested some changes.  They were wonderful and came up with an alternative, as well as altering the first one.  How exciting! But, now I love both covers.

So I have canvassed my secret posse of family and friends for opinions and although they are all mostly in favour of one option, I still love both.  Yet, I must choose.

Luckily you the reader will only get to see one cover and I hope that you love it as much as I do.
So when you pick up your copy of The Creators - don't judge the book by the cover, or if you love it then do!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure that this has been a challenging but exciting diversion and credit to you for sticking it out. The rewriting/editing process is what will kill many a potential author so all credit to you. Now the fun part will be seeing the sales mount up and the book fly off the shelves!!! :)
    The cover is going to look amazing, and yes we are more interested in reading the words in between but from what I've seen it's really appropriate and inviting and Balboa have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post, Beverly! Can't wait to see the 'finished' book ... and to read it!

    ReplyDelete